Reply To: Metronome

Yes, I think there’s a good chance we can lower your latency a bit. At distances of 50 miles, it’s not unusual to get latencies in the ballpark of 20 ms (I routinely get latencies around 10 ms because I have fiber internet). This should help you feel as though your ensemble (and the metronome) are all in the same place.

If the speed-test website you used for latency measurements was near you, then the latency of 60 ms and jitter of 56 ms were very high and lead me to wonder whether there is a connection issue inside the home:

1. Is Wi-Fi turned off on the computer?
  2. Is the computer connected by Ethernet directly to the main router that connects to Spectrum’s wiring that goes out the house? It’s important to avoid connecting the Ethernet cable to an extender/repeater router (aka “mesh network access point”). Otherwise, Wi-Fi is still being used in the connection. It’s also important to avoid using Ethernet-over-power adapters (like PowerLine adapters) and to avoid plugging into a secondary router like an Apple Time Capsule.

For best performance, we do recommend getting at least 50 Mbit/s of upload speed, if possible.

If you have a chance, it’d be interesting to double-check the local latency you get in FarPlay when you try an ASIO buffer size of 32 samples. I think the ASIO buffer size might be called “block size” in your AudioBox’s software. When I use 32 samples with audio interfaces on a PC, I get a local latency in the neighborhood of 3 ms (instead of 8-10 ms).

Happy to answer more questions,
David Liao

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by David Liao.
  • This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by David Liao.