New RME Interface echo woes

• Hello FarPlay support.
    Good Afternoon
    My old AntelopeAudio ZenTour fried recently and I was forced to purchase a new audio interface.
    I had researched new ones before it went and decided to purchase a RME UCX II.

The good news is with the kernel driver installation on my Intel Mac I can now run at 48 hz and 32 buffers and 24 bit and very little to no noise.

The bad news is despite recreating my Total Mix config 3 times now from scratch I have not been able to solve the issue of other players getting a bounce back each when I am connected to a session.

I have reached out to the RME forum when I explain my use case listed below.
    Other than saying I would to use the Total Mix Loopback function on outputs 1 and 2 all my attempts have not been successful.
    Also sound comes thru my headphones despite having FarPlay monitor set to 0db

My previous setup consisted of connecting a Korg Kronos and Roland RD-88 to my Zentour audio interface and I would run Gig Performer 5 for Pianoteq and Swam instruments using the audio interface that is built into the RD-88. I also used Rogue Amoeba’s Loopback to bring Mac apps into mystery session like Moise and Youtube.
    This setup worked great in FarPlay, Sonobus, and Jamulus until the audio interface fried.

The old interface did not have a remote / Direct knob like the new interfaces today’s but with the config mentioned it worked perfectly in FarPlay and my input was controlled by the Monitor slider which I tried seeing at 0dB.

The RME UCX II doesn’t have Direct / Monitoring wheel either either and I have yet to discover a config that will doesn’t someone else’s signal to echo back to them.
    I’m also try’s ing to run Gig Performer 5 or the RME UCX II because of the better sound nd performance.
    Are there any RME experts they yo know of that could help me come of with a config that at least least allows me to start using my Monitor slide to control my own session volume?
    If I have to go back to running Gig Performer 5 off my RD-88 audio interface to emanate this echo issue than I will.
    I am hoping there is a solution that doesn’t require me to return this new RME audio interface and buying a new AntelopeAudio one since I know I can replicate what I had with their mixer.

Thank You

Curt

• Dear Curt,

Thank you for your message. Please try the following.

1. Start over

• Quit all audio applications, including FarPlay.
    • Open and reset TotalMix FX. Check that you’re in submix mode.

2. Create an input mix of audio to send to FarPlay

• In the hardware outputs row (bottom row), click to highlight Analog 5/6. Click to enable Loopback for Analog 5/6.
    • In the hardware inputs row (top row), drag all faders all the way down (-∞). If you’re using microphones on analog inputs 1 and 2, raise their fader.
    • In the software playback row (middle row), drag all faders all the way down (-∞). Raise only the faders for Analog 1/2 (which will be available for YouTube, etc.) and Analog 3/4 (which will receive audio from Gig Performer).

3. Send FarPlay audio to headphones

• In the hardware outputs row (bottom row), click to highlight Phones.
    • In the hardware inputs row (top row), drag all faders all the way down (-∞).
    • In the software playback row (middle row), drag all faders all the way down (-∞). Raise only the fader for Analog 5/6 (which will receive audio from FarPlay).

4. Select channels in FarPlay

• Open FarPlay. Go to Preferences > General Options. For both the Microphone and Headphones, choose Fireface UCX II, Stereo, and channels 5-6.

5. Send audio from other apps to your Fireface UCX II

• In Gig Performer, click Options > Audio Setup…. Set the Output Device to Fireface UCX II (…). Checkmark only Out 3 and Out 4. Leave the other output channels unchecked. Click Apply Settings.
    • If you like, send YouTube, etc. audio to the input mix for FarPlay by clicking the control center near the top-right corner of the screen. Click Sound. Set the Output to Fireface UCX II. You no longer need to use Rogue Amoeba Loopback for this.

6. Test audio in FarPlay

• Check that the monitor slider in the You (…) subpanel of FarPlay controls the volume in your headphones of sounds you make/play.

I’m excited for you 🙂
    David Liao

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by David Liao.

Hi David,

Sorry I did not see this sooner. I forgot that the return messages from you don’t always come back to me via email. At least this one didn’t.

I followed your instructions after doing a Total Reset in Total Mix and I do now see my audio in may Monitor on FarPlay but not hearing any audio in Headphone after doing the setup for it.
    I notice there is a headphone option under Software Playback too. Should I have done something with that one too or instead?
    I uploaded a screen shot.

This image is of Total Mix with Analog 5-6 Output highlighed

Image of Total Mix with Analog Headphone 1 Output highlighed

Hi Curt,

Thank you for your screenshots. Could you share a screen shot of the Preferences > General Options tab in FarPlay?

Thank you,
    David Liao

Preferences window from Farplay

Audio IO Setup tab in Gig Performer 5

Thank you David, I really appreciate your assistance with this. I have been watching and rewatching the Total Mix RME videos for anything that might provide a solution for this.
    It’s a quirky mixer interface.

Dear Curt,

Thank you for your screen shots. The screen shot you sent of FarPlay is of FarPlay’s main window. Please, can you send a screen shot of FarPlay’s Preferences > General Options tab? To get there, click the FarPlay menu and then click Preferences (or use the keyboard combination Command comma).

Instead of using “Aggregate Gig Performer UCX II” as the output device in Gig Performer, can you use Fireface UCX II (…)” as your output device?

Thank you,
    David Liao

Screen shot of FarPlay’s Preferences > General Options

Screenshot of Audio IO setup in Gig Performer 5

Dear Curt,

Thank you for the screen shots from FarPlay Preferences and Gig Performer.

In the FarPlay Preferences > General Options tab, please make sure to choose “channels 5-6” both for the Microphone and Headphones. (The channel selection in FarPlay isn’t meant to match the channel selection in Gig Performer).

Then, with FarPlay running in the background, look at TotalMix FX and click to highlight “Phones 1” in the “Hardware Outputs” row (bottom row). Please speak into a microphone and share a screen shot of what TotalMix FX looks like while you speak.

Thank you,
    David Liao

David, I finally got it to work. I’m getting old.
    I went over everything again and reaffirmed everything and that fixed it. I feel like I should send your recommendations to Jeff at RME Support at surprisingly it also worked in Jamkazam, Jamulus, and Sonobus too once I specified ports 5 and 6.

Thank you so much.
    FarPlay app and support rocks.

Dear Curt,

So happy the audio routing is working. I’m glad we confirmed, in separate communications, that the echo/bounce-back problem is gone. Yes, please feel free to point Jeff at RME to this thread. Happy to answer questions.

Thank you,
    David Liao

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.